Why not having a plan is the best plan

I was sat talking to a friend this week, catching up on life whilst she was back in town briefly, and the question about what my plan was for the immediate future came up.

I hadn't really thought about it, but at that point I realised- I don't have a plan.

This may not seem strange, many people don't actually have a plan for the next stage of their life.  I am not that person. For someone who has had a plan her ENTIRE life. Had a plan B, plan C and possibly even a plan D for some situations, not having a plan is just plain unheard of!




This got me thinking though. I have spent the last 10 months working on a visa to stay in this wonderful country- that was my plan then. Before this, I spent 8 months working for and waiting for my professional registration to come through, to allow me to work in my profession here- that was my only plan then. Before that, I was planning to leave the UK for this epic trip.

You can see where this is going- yo girl has ALWAYS had a plan.

But as I pondered this over again the other day in my migraine induced haze (plenty of trippy drugs involved), I came to the conclusion- I don't have a plan because I don't need one.

I am no longer searching for the elusive thing to fill a void or stifle unhappiness. I am no longer looking for something to complete me, because A) I have found it in myself, and B) I have found it in a place!

I am no longer looking to escape either a job or the place I live, I am not living for annual leave or working to live.

I am 100% content with where I am and I don't need to complicate it by having a plan.

People will say I am daft/ stupid/ an idiot for not having a plan.  For not having an idea of where I want my life to be in 5 or 10 years time.

I will tell them they are stupid for believing anything will ever go to plan!

Having a plan is different to having goals- I have plenty of those. I am just wise enough to know that the universe will figure out the 'how' to these her own way, and that by me having a plan is not actually doing me any favours at all. It just adds stress and unnecessary pressure to my life.


So for once I am embracing not having a plan.  I am showing up daily to life, without any expectations of how this will play out in the long run. I am learning to be mindful and present in this moment vs always looking for the next thing. And I have to say- It is bloody marvellous!

Not having a plan is the most liberating feeling ever, and one I plan to continue with for as long as possible!

#noplanfam

Comments

Popular Posts